Come on, let's talk about something we normally don’t say out loud: choosing a good gift can be so difficult! Plus, if you want that gift to be good AND as sustainable as possible, it is even more difficult.
That is why today we wanted to give you an original idea for a meaningful gift that has a positive impact on the planet. Every action counts, right?
An initiative that the planet will be grateful for
Have you ever thought about giving a tree as a gift as part of a reforestation initiative? Here are some reasons why it is indeed a good idea:
- You contribute to mitigating climate change: trees absorb carbon dioxide (CO2) and release oxygen, helping to balance the carbon cycle in the atmosphere.
- You improve biodiversity: reforesting restores damaged ecosystems.
- It is beneficial for the soil: trees help retain water and prevent erosion, in addition to favoring the life of microorganisms that are key to soil health.
- It includes a social component: many of the plantations are carried out with the involvement of the local community, thus generating economic opportunities for them.
- It's an easy, affordable and sustainable way to make a difference and, in the process, support an important cause.
If you've made it this far and we've convinced you, here are 3 great tree giving initiatives that are making a difference in the world:
Plant For The Planet: this non-profit organization has been around since 2007 with the goal of planting 100 billion trees around the world and thus managing to restore different ecosystems. Specially focused on education and community participation, they integrate environmental sustainability but also social sustainability, integrating schools, companies and organizations to achieve their goal. You can give, but also "donate trees" and create your own campaign to reforest a specific area.
Treedom: this platform allows you to plant a tree remotely and track it online. Since its foundation in 2010 in Florence, they have planted 3,000,000 trees in Africa, Latin America, Asia and Italy. The plantings are made thanks to local farmers, thus involving the community in the process. A curiosity: you will have the option to choose the type of tree you want to plant and know what kind of social and environmental impact you are generating with it.
Bosquia: this social enterprise has one goal: to care for and protect Spain's national forests. They present themselves as truly committed to a sustainable future and believe deeply in the ability to build it together as a society. They have the option "give a tree", where you can collaborate by sponsoring a tree and receive a personalized certificate with the geolocation of the tree.
Collaborate from anywhere in the world
These are just three initiatives, but the reality is that now there are tons of projects related to reforestation, so if you do some research you can find plenty more. You can collaborate locally, nationally and even in places where you do not live, but where your economic contribution is vital to develop these actions. Being able to collaborate with these projects in places we don't even know is the proof that together we can carry out actions that benefit both the planet and other communities.